Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Having Fun with Friends at my Test Cooking/Tasting Party

On Thursday, 4/3/14, I invited friends to a tasting of two of my recipes: I had not cooked either of these recipes in more than 20 years. The recipes needed to be cooked and tested because they will be part of my book to be published in 2015.

I had to make sure the Lamb Pot and the Yam Apple Soup are as good as I remembered.  Boy, they are.

My friends from all walks of life got really into this. All loved the Lamb Pot and made suggestions as to what wines would be better to go with the lamb than the Riesling I chose. The recipe calls for curry and I like a Riesling or Gewürztraminer with curry.

 I agree that a Pinot would bring out the flavors more.

The Yam Apple Soup, which I chose to use as dessert, (cold)  received good reviews as well. The soup calls to be served topped with whipped cream. Some liked the soup better without the whipped cream. This soup can be served hot or cold and is a great summer soup.

The discussions were lively and the suggestions plenty. I am so grateful to my friends for indulging me with this venture: it is a motivator to keep writing this book. I am, after all, almost 79 years old and finishing this book will be the highlight of my career and a gift to my family.

This is a great way to entertain and have fun with friends.

One recipe will be attached.


Here is the recipe first, ha, ha.



Apple Yam Wine Soup:

2 ½  to 3 quarts of  water
2 ½  lbs Yams cleaned, peeled cut into thick slices
2 ½  lbs Apples peeled, seeds removed sliced into thick slices
2 large Onions chopped
Fresh Thyme to taste
Lemon juice from 3 to 4 fresh lemons
1 cups sugar
3 cinnamon sticks
1 to 2 cups Marsala wine
Whipping cream for topping, whipped

Sauté onions for 5 to 10 minutes, do not brown, add thyme, apples, yams sauté for 3 minutes add the water bring to a boil, turn down the heat and simmer for at least 1 hour.

Cool the soup, puree, put back into pot add the wine, lemon juice cinnamon sticks, sugar bring to the boiling point turn down the heat and simmer for 30 to 40 minutes.

Serve hot or cold topped with whipped heavy cream.

Makes 8 to 12 servings


Note: This is a great summer soup or for dessert. It has a 5 to 6 day shelf life

No comments: