Monday, September 26, 2011

News Flash -- September 2011 Brunch on a Saturday

The crush is on in Wine Country. Entertaining this time of the year becomes challenging. I had planned a German style brunch around two friends who had to cancel a couple days prior due to a priority with their home remodel. The next cancel was from a friend who is a winemaker - she was called into work. However, her husband did come.

My brunch went instantly from 7 to 4 people. Oh, two of my other guests thought it was the next day (Sunday). This was a total messed up communication. They arrived after my notifying them via text: “Where  are you??” – Late – but they arrived. My first guest and I had a Mimosa and waited patiently for them, talking.

Since this was a test cooking to see how the Eierpfanne Kuchen would hold up filled with sautéed veggies - in my case I used mushrooms, zucchini, green onions and fresh tarragon,  instead of the original filled with orange marmalade, my favored filling, or any other jam.

Eierpfanne Kuchen is a type of crepe but not quite as thin. I have made Eierpfanne Kuchen since I was 14. I am now 76 so you would think I perfected the recipe. Well let me tell you, they are very sensitive to make. It is all in the wrist when the frying begins. Yesterday I decided to put the batter into a bowl and use a ladle. “Big or not so big mistake.” They turned out slightly thicker than I like. I usually pour the batter directly from the cuisinart (blender can be used) into the frying pan and it always comes out perfect.

Why test the recipe? A few weeks ago with friends here for a Sunday brunch the topic came up - why not use veggies instead? I also varied from the norm by frying the Eierpfanne Kuchen ahead and filling them and putting into a warm oven to hold until the guests arrived.

According to my guests, the Eierpfanne Kuchen ranged from awesome to very good. But, the texture was not good enough for my taste. If you would like to try this (the recipe will follow) it is best to cook and serve - make it fun and educational. The Eierpfanne Kuchen become slightly dense when kept warm, especially for 1 hour, ha, ha. I venture to say 15 minutes in the oven or under a warmer would probably be good.

Most recipes I develop and cook are okay to be cooked in advance which makes it so easy on the hostess when entertaining.

Eierpfanne Kuchen

4 eggs
4 to 6 tablespoons flour
¼ cup milk
   Salt to taste
   butter
   orange marmalade or other jams for filling
   sugar

In food processor or mixer combine the eggs with the milk and salt.
Mix until you have a thin batter. If batter is too thick add more milk.
The texture of the batter has to be like heavy syrup.
Heat butter in a heavy frying pan, (about 6 to 8 inches across). Pour
batter into pan to cover the bottom. On medium heat lightly brown one
side, flip over and brown the other side.

Remove from pan. Repeat process until all batter is gone. While your second Eierpfanne Kuchen browns, sprinkle the first one with sugar and spread orange marmalade, roll up or fold into a triangle.  Serve right from the stove or keep warm in 200 degree oven until all are done.

Note: Instead of orange marmalade or other jam you can fill the Eierpfanne Kuchen with sautéed vegetable of your choice.

            

Makes 4 to 6 Eierpfanne Kuchen

No comments: