Saturday, April 17, 2021

Frage Sigrid a Memoir


 

Pandemic 2020/2021

 

The News hit us like nothing ever has before! Two days later we were ordered to stay at home. I for one did stay at home until the last week in May when I was tested for the COVID-19 virus and it came back negative. A week later I had to have oral surgery. Once the healing started I did venture out early in the morning to get some food into my home. It is eerie to go to the supermarket around 7 a.m. with mask on and gloves as well. No other contact, no visitors and trying to stay hopeful that this virus will disappear, but! As you all know, it is still around with a vengeance. People are not helping themselves. Teens running around in packs and no masks and no distance.

 Sonoma county is one of the places where everyone takes it for granted: “NOT US”. I have news for you, the carelessness of the public is the reason why we are still in the purple tier. I do understand about all the restrictions, no one wants to be told you can’t go out shopping, to dinner or family gatherings. 


I had my 85th birthday July 15th. My daughter, Heidi, became creative and gave me a Zoom party, inviting family from across the country and abroad, it was so fun. After, we had 5 family members and 5 friends for cake. No one wanted coffee or other refreshments with the cake. Weird. Never the less, it was a good gathering, seeing some family and friends. All had a good time, mask and distance notwithstanding.

It is hard for me to hear with a lot of people talking around me even though I wear a hearing aid. Now with the masks, the hearing aid keeps falling out of my ear so I do not even bother. Depression was or still is a constant reminder how this pandemic has affected me and I am sure many others. In spite of all that, I am grateful for being virus free and I had my second vaccine on March 18th.

My children are staying in touch with me almost daily either by phone or text or e-mail or even a visit with masks and distance. My son Neal, who lives in town, comes by every 3 days which is helpful. My neighbors are also in touch. My Bestie Josie and her adorable son Finnie come by and visit from my courtyard while I stay on my balcony. Now I am waiting for these restrictions to ease up so we can visit with distance and masks. I have to say, I put a lot of restrictions on myself at 85. With underlying health issues I do need to take care of myself. March 27, 2021: the sun is out and the tem: is rising to a pleasant 75 degrees. All this puts a smile on my face. 

I am looking forward to Easter. My sons Rod and Neal will be here for the weekend and I have been looking through my recipe portfolio for a special Easter dinner/brunch. Heidi and Bill are due for a visit but we do not know yet when that will happen. Walter and family are staying home in Boise, Idaho. Paul is in Los Angeles while Steve and Family remain in England. Hope you had great Easter and were careful where you traveled. Wear your mask, especially if your family and friends are not vaccinated.

 

 Cheesy Mushroom Bread Pudding

 

3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

10 ounces packaged cremini mushrooms sliced

2 cloves of garlic, pressed

1 teaspoon fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried (not powdered)

Salt and pepper to taste

6 large eggs

2 cups milk

¼ cup grated parmesan cheese

½ baguette, cut into ½ inch cubes

2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese

 

Preheat oven to 350*

 

In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the mushrooms, garlic, thyme, salt and pepper to taste and cook, stirring, until the mushrooms are browned, 8 to 10 minutes.

 

In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk 2 tablespoons parmesan, and salt to taste. Stir in the bread cubes and let soak for 10 minutes.

 

Stir in the mushroom mixture and the mozzarella. Transfer to a greased 1/ ½ quart baking dish; sprinkle the remaining parmesan on top.

 

Bake until golden, about 45 minutes. Let stand 15 minutes before serving.

 

Makes 4 servings

 

Note: A green salad for supper/dinner or fruit salad for brunch will go 

In the meantime restrictions have eased. However, do not start being careless again, be happy that you can go among friends and family but do not take it for granted. Wear your Mask.

 

 

 

1 comment:

ocean lady said...

Fascinating to hear a bit of your pandemic adventures Sigrid. Similar stories here in Santa Cruz. What a strange two years it has been hasn't it? Good to see you still writing and cooking and staying so close with your great kids. Say hi for me!