Saturday, May 2, 2020

New Normal or is It!?



First let me say a big Thank You! to all of the Doctors, Nurses & Volunteers who work so hard to help contain the COVID-19 virus and save lives. It is up to us to do our part and maintain a 6-foot distance when out & about.

New Normal or Is It?
The last few weeks have been tiresome, scary and frustrating. As of today not much has changed, except the sun is shining and we are ready to go to the parks, the beaches and just hang out with family and friends. Having to distance oneself is not such a hardship if it keeps you safe, wearing a mask is a necessary evil. I think the worst of all this is that people can’t go to work and earn a living to be able to take care of their families and themselves. World Governments and Science need to step up and anticipate that viruses like the COVID-19 will pop up again. Have they not learned from the SAR virus to be ahead of the spread?

I am lucky at age 84. I am more vulnerable they say, but I have avoided all the trappings and, so far, am staying without exposure to the Virus. I tell you, it is hard to be on top of your new normal. I can always claim my strong German genes, (ha, ha) are keeping me safe. My son Neal who is still in the workforce and lives here in town comes and checks on me but will only step inside by the door not to spread any germs he might harbor. It is sad not to be able and sit down for a meal together. My other grown children are all sheltered in their own homes in different parts of California, Idaho and in the UK. My son Steven in the UK was sick and they believe he might have had/does have the virus. He is doing much better now. Last I heard he will be tested for antibodies.

Perhaps every person needs to be tested to find the hot spots and help the public get back into the workforce. What can we do help each other from being so isolated?? I live in an apartment building which has 10 apartments. I take walks around the building or around a block or two. My neighbors and I wave to each other, talk from a distance just to have contact of some sort. I for one, get into my car some early mornings to drive to the post office to drop mail, go to the Grocery Store at 7 am, with mask and gloves. Usually it is an in and out trip, but it keeps me from going crazy or getting depressed. Cooking is still my peace, I’ve been doing more lately again. If you read my profile you know I’ve been in the hospitality business all my life.

Talking about cooking, at times my neighbors and I exchange some meals we’ve cooked. I miss seeing my Children who made the trip here every two to three months. It has only been 4 months or so since I saw them but it seems so much longer. However, the phone or text or e-mail are available; some of my children are not fond of media visiting/talking. My Grandchildren are better at it. My daughter Heidi does respond to my texting 99% of the time, I take it that she does not want to listen to me complain on the phone or have to repeat herself. My son Rodmond  and Paul; only when they feel their is no other choice. Forget about Walter or Neal, they prefer the phone which I have a hard time with right now, even with a hearing aid. My friend Josie brings her almost 2 year old son Finnie and stays with him in the courtyard while we visit. I stay on my balcony.

One of my favorite comfort foods is Frikadellen.
Here is how I make them (off the top of my head):

Low-fat Ground Beef (can use turkey or meat-substitutes)
1 Whole egg
1 Thick slice of bread soaked in water
1 - 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1 Medium onion, chopped
Red pepper flakes to taste
Salt & pepper to taste

Squeeze all the water out of the bread.
In a bowl, combine all of the ingredients. Knead the mixture with clean hands until the ingredients are well blended.
Form patties and let them sit for 10 minutes.
Heat Olive Oil with butter at medium heat. Brown the Frikadellen on both sides, making sure they are done in the middle. Press your finger on the patty - if done, it should bounce back.
Bon appetit!














No comments: